Combining the abstract perspective of art critic Clive Bell and the elements of design, this project aims to create a non-representational form. The non-representational form will be dynamic and asymmetrical, the form will be no larger than 24 inches.
The goal is for the viewer to be able to view the non-representational form with movement and interest. I am excited to start this project because it is very open ended. I’m able to design the form in a unique shape to convey movement and use texture to make the form contrasting. I believe components of this project will be challenging for me, such as using different materials and creating 3D forms. I have only used plaster once before and I have never used chicken wire. I am used to painting and drawing 2D more than creating sculptures.
So for my lateral thinking part of the project, I find that it’s more beneficial for me to just make a list of all the objects that I can rapidly list, I call it “brain flow.”
Brain Flow- Yellow Pepper, Harmonica, bottle of ink, Magnet, Snow globe, Matchbox, Bow Tie, Wrench, Bunny, Multisided dice, Bone-saw, Ice Pick, Dinosaur, Octopus Tentacle, Squirt Gun, Sail Boat, Lego Man, Venus Fly Trap, Ladle, Donut, Sting Ray, Treasure Chest, Taffy, Swim Goggles, Unicorn Horn, Hot Air Balloon, Waffle Cone, Saturn (Planet), Mushroom, Beehive, Chameleon, Harp, Gravy Boat, Violin, Acorn, Saxophone, Ear of corn, Record player, Tree stump, Clothespin, Rocket ship, Cinnamon roll, Fire extinguisher, Lava lamp, Cuttlefish.
Idea One: For my first idea I combined an octopus tentacle, a beehive and a fire extinguisher. I really like the texture of the octopus tentacle and the layered part of the beehive. For the fire extinguisher, I changed the shape to a lightbulb figure.
Idea Two: For my second idea I combined an acorn top, a bell pepper and a dinosaur spine. In the combined piece I put the acorn top and bell pepper together but I offset them. I also wanted to make the inside of the acorn top hollow.
Idea Three: For my third idea I combined a magnet, half lego man and a gravy boat. For some reason I didn’t really like the combined product of this idea, it feels too compact.
I really liked creating the maquettes out of clay because clay is easy to work with and manipulate. If we re-did the maquettes I maybe would have made a couple larger shapes out of chicken wire because the material is more difficult to work with than clay.
Idea One: For my first maquette I combined my idea of an octopus tentacle and a cartoon beehive shape. I added the triangle shapes to create movement around the form. The cave is the conflict because it disrupts the expected pattern and it makes the viewer want to see what’s inside the cave. This form is the most dynamic because they’re different textures that create fluid movement.
Idea Two: For my second maquette I combined my idea of the bell pepper and acorn top. Unfortunately this maquette didn’t turn out as what I expected. The two forms were proven to be too similar in shape. Even though the stem draws the viewer around the form, there is not enough other patterns that move the viewers eye. The base is also sort of static, I should have put more clay under the form to create a diagonal
Idea Three: For my third maquette I combined the idea of a gravy boat with a half lego man. This form has a lot going on, such as various shapes put together and the pebble like pattern. However, this form is too condensed and busy to contain movement.
The biggest thing that I gained from making this was, the experience of working with unfamiliar material. I have never worked with chicken wire and burlap before. I think the most difficult part was bending and twisting the chicken wire into the form
that I decided to create (Idea One). I found the plaster easy to work with despite the time limit for it to dry. I feel like this project may be tricky because it’s easier to make the form large as opposed to it being small.
My final product did not turn out exactly as I expected (refer to maquette one). I quickly discovered that manipulating clay is a lot easier than twisting chicken wire into a shape. In the beginning I was frustrated that I found the chicken wire so difficult to work with, the wire was not as “bendy” as I thought. I preferred working with the burlap and plaster, I found that I could bunch the burlap up and create the shape of the patterns on my sculpture. I believe this was more efficient than building and building the plaster up. One of the most challenging aspects was attempting to fill the “cave part” with burlap, in which I did not succeed in. I unfortunately made the cave too narrow.
Even though there are a couple things I would have done differently, I believe my non-representational form satisfies the projects requirements. My form is dynamic because it is asymmetrical, there are many components of pattern, the direction of the color and pattern moves the eye around the form, there is rough/smooth texture and the cave component lets the view look inside the sculpture.
The things I would have done differently is making the base “less stable” and using less colors. I feel like I could have made the form more complex so it sits on a couple points rather and just one point. I also would change the color scheme and maybe use just two contrasting colors. I feel like I used too much color and it distracts the view from the actual form.
My favorite aspect about the final project is that it generates a lot of questions. One of the valuable aspects that I will take along with me when creating other projects, is the ability to be flexible. The ability to have a flexible mind if the project doesn’t turn out exactly as I had planned. As an artist, you experience many failures and you can only grow from these experiences.